Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Adventures in Health: The Beginning

Hi, my name is Amy. That’s how my 4 year old son starts a conversation with any “new friend” aged 2-12, so I thought I would take his lead to start out this new blog. The next thing he usually says is “I’m four.” I won’t go there though except to say that I’m in my mid-thirties.

So, you know my name, and that I have a 4 year old son, but why read this blog? I work at the WA State Department of Health as the program manager for the Healthy Eating Active Living (HEAL) Program. I have a bachelor's degree in Nutrition and a Master's in Public Health. My team works to make it easier for people to eat healthy and be active where they live, learn, work and play. Our goal is for kids and adults to be at healthy weights and have less risk of chronic disease.

At home, I have two kids, a husband (who also works full time) and a dog. I strongly believe that our environment greatly influences our decisions and our health, and I spend a lot of time thinking about how the environment shapes the lives of my son and 1 year old daughter. In this blog, I will explore everyday situations I encounter as a super busy working mom, share some statistics, ponder why it’s so hard to be healthy, and share with you some of the ways I’ve managed to make it easier for my family to eat better and be more active.

I look forward to hearing from you about your strategies for raising a healthy family in this world that doesn’t always make it easy.



6 comments:

  1. Thanks! It is a really exciting opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Amy, thanks for the supportive information, this is a practice my family is consistent about. Have you considered the idea of interviewing individuals who have changed from a seated work position to a standing work position throughout the course of the week? we are in the process of changing our entire office over to elevated work stations because the benefit to each employee has been HUGE. Keep up the good work

      Delete
    2. Hi Chad - thanks for the comment! A small study published in CDC's Preventing Chronic Disease showed promising effects of sit-stand stations. http://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2012/11_0323.htm

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to more blogging from DOH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great - thanks Amy! (Celeste Schoenthaler)

    ReplyDelete